Sunday, July 20, 2008

Javascript Today

Lately I've found myself delving much deeper into the world of Javascript than I would have normally considered. You see, a client of mine wanted to convert their web site, which was written specifically to work with Internet Explorer, to be fully cross-browser compatible. I'm a long time developer and have made my living off of architecting and developing the server side components for software applications and web sites. But Javascript. Come on. I would lose my dignity. My programmer friends would endlessly chide me. But out of necessity I plunged deeper into the language and found out that there really is something to it. It's so unrestricted that it will make you rip out your hair. You can spend hours trying to fix or even find one little tiny bug. It can be extremely frustrating. But that's the point of this blog. To discuss my problems in hopes that you can use them to help you and keep you from spending hours on the same problems. Also, I will soon be starting the Javascript Today website with forums so we can all complain together:-) No, but the rest of the story is that I'm beginning to like Javascript. You can do so much with so little code. There are many libraries out there such as JQuery, Prototype, MOJO, and others that are very impressive and turns Javascript into an incredibly powerful language.

No comments: